Self-Acceptance and Relationship Expert
I am an Oregon Trail Blazer-era married mama of two multiracial kids with a large dog and a long home owner to do list. I live for outdoorsy adventures (camping, hiking, walking, beach time, fishing...) and live music events. I used to be told to "have more tact"; now I'm often told people enjoy my authenticity. I stay active, I pay attention, and I care to leave everything and everyone a little bit better off than when I first arrived, if I can help it. If not, I accept the things and enjoy the enjoyable parts.
I enjoy people, being empathetic, ensuring you feel safe in the room and relationship, and working towards building the life you want the way you want with some humor and kindness along the way.
* Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT or Tapping, trained in 2019)- quickly address and eliminate sources of anxiety and pain (including traumatic memories, panic, specific phobias, and physical pain) using light acupressure and cognitive behavioral talk therapy interventions.
* Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST, certified in 2017)- suicide first aid for those thinking about suicide, to connect and de-escalate the crisis.
* Seeking Safety (trained in 2016)- harm reduction model for working with both addiction and trauma related issues for adults (or mature teens).
* Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT, trained in 2015 and practiced in group partial hospitalization setting with teens until 2018.)- focuses on reducing destructive behaviors by teaching skills related to regulating emotions, interacting in relationships, tolerating distress, and mindfulness meditation.
* Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT, trained in 2013)- structured help for individuals suffering with stress related to a past trauma or series of traumatic events
* Crisis prevention, support, and safety planning (trained in 2008).
* Mental health assessment (trained in 2004 at work and 2010 in grad school)
* Assessing and Treating PTSD and Related Problems with Veterans
* Military Cultural Competence
* Certified Trainer: Therapeutic Crisis Intervention for Families
* Multicultural Competency
* LGBTQIA+ informed care, provided by The Gender Health Center
* Psychopharmacology and Clinical Practice
* Neuroscience, Quantum Physics, Spirituality, and Eating Disorders, Carolyn Costin
* Shame Shields, Dr. Brené Brown
* Play therapy and Parent Child Interactional Therapy (PCIT) coaching
* Functional Family Therapy (FFT) practitioner
* Foster Youth Alliance
* Wraparound Fidelity Index researcher
* Christian Counseling Considerations
* Presenter on topics of: Law & Ethics of Community Based Services, Leadership, Workplace Safety, Teen Dating Violence, & Criminal Sexual Exploitation of Children,Trauma Informed Residential Youth Counseling
Quality Education and Experience
Initially an intern who completed 3,000+ hours of direct face to face mental health services, passed the two exams the first try, and then licensed by the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences as a marriage and family therapist in 2016. Licensed therapists are clinically trained to treat mental health issues.
September 2009 - May 2013
Masters of Science, Counseling
Graduate school at California State University, Sacramento included in person counseling skills training and feedback, as well as supervised experience with children, adults, and groups of students at CK McClatchy High School. Useful and practical education has been priceless in my journey.
September 2001-May 2005
Bachelor of Science, Psychology
Undergraduate education at University of California, Davis included a minor in Education, participation in the Honors Program each year, and a deep appreciation for scientific research to back up and continue to refresh my clinical practice.
Committed to my colleagues and connected with our core mission to provide ethical and best practices for each person we serve.